Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A sobering thought.....

I have so much on my heart today, the BIGGEST of which are these verses in 1 Corinthians 3:10 Because of God’s grace to me, I have laid the foundation like an expert builder. Now others are building on it. But whoever is building on this foundation must be very careful. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one we already have—Jesus Christ.

12 Anyone who builds on that foundation may use a variety of materials—gold, silver, jewels, wood, hay, or straw. 13 But on the judgment day, fire will reveal what kind of work each builder has done. The fire will show if a person’s work has any value. 14 If the work survives, that builder will receive a reward. 15 But if the work is burned up, the builder will suffer great loss. The builder will be saved, but like someone barely escaping through a wall of flames.

These verses are scary to me, as a minister. Now obviously the foundation being built on here is Jesus Christ and Him crucified and risen again. THAT is the foundation...the true foundation and there is no other.
Verse 12 tells me that I, as a preacher, can build on that foundation in whatever way I feel is right. I can build on that foundation using the old red back hymnal, convention songs, or the most up to date worship songs. I can build on that foundation using a King James bible, a New Living Translation bible, or The Message bible. I can build on it using Sunday school or cell groups, in a building or in a tent. I can use the same methods employed years and years ago or I can shake it all up. I can build on this foundation of Christ using home church, store front church, regular church buildings, or church in an arena. God leaves that up to us. And it DOES have a sense of excitement to it! It makes me feel good to know that I can build on this firm foundation through whatever mode I deem necessary! If I feel like I need to go stand in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot in Glennville, Ga and preach Christ, I can! If I want to teach teenagers about the ride called the Christian life by taking them to Six Flags to ride coasters, I can! Actually, that sounds like a cool idea.... 
Anyways, the point is, God leaves it up to the minister how he/she will bring the Gospel to a dying world. And honestly, I wish that was where Paul stopped on this. But he does not. He goes on to say that come judgement day, EVERYTHING I have built on that foundation will be tried by fire. If it makes it through the fire then Glory to the Lord! Rewards all around!! YAAAAY! BUT, (and I cannot stand that word sometimes) if the work on that foundation is burned up, the builder will suffer great loss. Obviously, I will be judged according to whether or not the "methods" I chose to bring the Gospel worked or not. I myself will be saved....but barely. And what of the people that I brought the gospel to in the "method" I thought was right?? Will they be burned up? Will they make it? Will there be rewards or will there be judgement? The fire WILL show if the work has any value. Will I have blood on my hands? Wow. That is a really sobering thought. Is what I am doing for the kingdom going to show any value come judgement day? Sobering indeed.


So in this age of almost anything goes.....are we really building His kingdom or just our ubber big egos?!?!


Sober up!



No comments:

Post a Comment